Current Obsessions: Magpie in Me
Hope you all had a wonderful Halloween! I dressed up as Wednesday Addams because I was afraid that i would get cold in the Sister Mary Eunice costume I wore to another Halloween party last weekend. And it actually wasn’t even all that cold last night, especially when you’re surrounded by THRONGS of people. Oh well, anyway. Welcome to the second installment of Current Obsessions and within the same week too! I wanted to originally post this with Tuesday’s round up, but I thought it’d be too overwhelming. This way, this is kind of like a Fashion Friday post too! Because it’s about fashion and it’s actually posted on a FRIDAY. Wow. Amazing, I know. So let’s just get on with the shinies, shall we?
1. I’m in love with this Caesura belt from anthropologie.
I’ve used this to style so many outfits since I’ve been here, it’s ridiculous. Because of the different colors of stones – the white and canary, in particular – you can accent it with gold or silver/white gold jewelry. Unfortunately, I don’t have many pictures of the outfits because I’ve never really been that #ootd kind of girl (even though I’m really thinking that I should if I’m going to keep this fashion side of blogging thing up…) but here are just a couple of ideas. One of them actually is an #ootd instagram post, and the other one is just a recreation of an outfit I wore on a super casual first date…
Sorry for the poor quality of this picture. I could have done a better job, but I’ll blame it on the fitting room lighting… Anyway, In this picture I’m wearing:
Banana Republic navy cape (something similar by ASOS)
Ann Taylor Loft necklace (here)
J.Crew tights (now sold at J.Crew Factory here!)
and of course the anthropologie Caesura belt!
(in the background you can get a glimpse of my all-time favorite J.Crew uptown tote.)
I wore this outfit out on a date, haha. A very super casual dinner group date. I didn’t know what to expect or anything, so I went with something still flirty (you’ll see the back of this super feminine and super cute back of the dress when I get to the links…) Wanted to impress but didn’t want to be like “ohh look, I’m so desperate and hot and stuff!~” I hadn’t been on a date in a while, cut a girl some slack!
1. Francesca’s Collections’s Miami Dress. It also comes in a variety of other colors, and I love the back of it!
2. Loft’s Short Green Flower and Smoky Gem necklace (again I know!): AT Loft
3. Of course the anthropologie Caesura belt which I looped around the part of the dress that cinches.
4. These boots are only similar to mine. Not the ones that I wore. I think mine were more calf length than these ankle ones, but I’ve worn this dress with some flat black booties before. Mephisto Sarina slouch boots: Zappo’s
So anyway, as you can see, I’m a big fan of keeping pieces around and reshopping my closet to create new looks, even if they were from seasons past. And I’m definitely a fan of statement accessories. Speaking of which…
2. That leads me to the next thing I’ll gush about in public. The Loft Live in Pink necklace designed by Suzanne Dai. A portion of the proceeds goes to breast cancer research, which is something I can stand behind! And it’s super pretty, and the magpie in me is just <3_<3 (heart eyes) all freaking over it.
I’ve worn it by itself because it’s just BA-DOW spectacular:
And also as a layer:
Our waitress and my friend’s wife both thought I was wearing one necklace and got compliments on it, but nope! The beautiful Live in Pink necklace was paired with a J.Crew bauble, which I think may be an in-store only piece because I can’t find it on their website. Anyway, I purchased mine at the same time I visited the SoHo store for the Lulu Frost event, and it had a 25% discount on it. Yay discounts. But anyway, layering is fun (side note, here is a really, wonderfully done explanation of HOW to layer necklaces by Ms. Devon), and here are some suggestions from Bauble Bar which will be perfect for layering with the LiP necklace. Ugh, I love Bauble Bar. I want ALL THE THINGS.
And for now, I’m done with staring at shinies. For now. Give me about five more minutes….